The five athletes, who represent five countries from four area associations, have achieved sensational performances across a range of athletics disciplines in 2023, winning titles and breaking world records at the World Athletics Championships Budapest 23, one-day meeting circuits, Label road races and other events around the world.
The finalists are (in alphabetical order):
1. Tigist Assefa, ETH, marathon
· Berlin marathon winner
· World marathon record
2. Femke Bol, NED, 400m/400m hurdles
· World 400m hurdles champion
· World indoor 400m record
3. Shericka Jackson, JAM, 100m/200m
· World 200m champion and 100m silver medallist
· Diamond League 100m and 200m champion
4. Faith Kipyegon, KEN, 1500m/mile/5000m
· World 1500m and 5000m champion
· World records at 1500m, mile and 5000m
5. Yulimar Rojas, VEN, triple jump
· World champion
· Diamond league champion
Voting procedure for 2023 World Athletes of the Year
A three-way voting process determined the finalists.
The World Athletics Council and the World Athletics Family cast their votes by email, while fans logged their decisions online via the World Athletics social media platforms where a record 2 million votes were registered.
Voting closed on 28 October.
The World Athletes of the Year will be announced on World Athletics’ platforms on 11 December, as part of the World Athletics Awards 2023.